Hello All! We are planning our first BIG baseball trip in August - Cali to Denver for Giants vs Rockies, then Boston for Baltimore vs Boston, down to NYC for Phillies at Mets, then shipping back up to Boston for Detroit vs Boston on Labor Day!

This all started just as a trip to Boston...! Ha! We are trying to figure out the most economical/convenient (not sure if those two can be used together for this - ha!) way to travel from Boston to NYC.

Rent a car? Park at Citi Field - yikes! Or park and take some sort of transit? Or is there transit from Boston to Citi Field?

Train? $400 for Amtrak!

Directions by car or other form of transit ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 788

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After doing some reading on TripAdvisor, I learned about limoliner. $178/person round-trip. They can also be found on Facebook here..

Some people seem to swear by BoltBus and others pan it stating the buses are dirty and the drivers are sketchy.

Again, thanks for any feedback you are able to provide.

I have taken the BoltBus between Boston and NYC and would recommend with no reservations. The bus was clean and had WiFi - most of my fellow travelers looked like students or young professionals. The only downside is that the one I took let us off on the street by the Tick Tock Diner near Times Square, which as an area is a bit sketchy.

Look at Amtrak again and make sure that it is not an Acela train. Its $50 per person on the NorthEast Regional train - Buy tickets in advance as prices will increase as the date approaches. This will get you to Penn Station. Then take the NYC Subway within NYC and to Citi Field.

Tim! I cannot thank you enough for straightening me out! Hahaha! I was looking at the reservation information all wrong! What a huge savings taking the train! $98/person round trip! And, I'm being a tourist at the same time so we can look at whatever the train takes us through - lol! And, the LIRR/MTA will take us straight from Penn Station to Citi Field as you said. I found their schedule information online specific to getting to Citi Field. Not exactly sure about fare cost but the most it will be is $16/person round-trip if it's peak fare. Just saved $256 for the four of us - hmmmm.....what to do with that savings! Hahaha - Thanks again Tim!

I'm glad that worked out for you. You can send me the check for the difference...

I take Amtrak quite a bit and really enjoy it. Im taking it in Sept for Hartford to Baltimore then DC to Philly to Hartford.

Its a great ride and comfortable. You can bring your own food and drinks on and there is wi-fi. Just watch which station in Boston you have to board in (I would pick the first one). If you have luggage and want help, there should be red Caps to help you (porters). This is a free service and they get you on the train before general boarding - all for a tip.

Cathy, I would sit on the LH side of the train to get the views of the water but as you approach NYC, the view of Manhattan will be on your RH side so be ready to look.

Yet another great tip! Thanks Tim! So excited - c'mon August! :)

Hahaha! I had thought about joking about sending you the difference..... :)

Thank you for all of the great tips! We are just going down for the Phillies/Mets game and then returning the same evening. 1:10 game so it's perfect for travelling down and getting there in plenty of time to check something out around the city or go early and tour the stadium. And then afterwards, we could hang out a bit as well before traveling back.

After mapping it, it looks like our hotel is about equal distance from the North or South stations.

Cathy,
I've actually done this trip you're talking about in the Northeast. My first question for you is how many people are going? That would be dependent on rental car and what not. But also freedom to see other things outside of the major metroplex.

I wouldn't be too worried about Citi Field parking. It's actually pretty easy to get to. Boston is harder because parking is hard anywhere within at least 10 blocks or more of the park.

In my experience I would do:
Arrive in Boston common. Take bus, train or cab to Fenway.
Rent rental car and drive to Citi Field while seeing the sites.
Maybe try to get to Cooperstown and check out the hall of fame or
check out a minor league game on the way.

Just some thoughts.

Thank you for the reply! When we thought the train tickets were over-priced (misreading of the quotes - lol!), we had thought about driving. Being from California and the closest I've been to NYC is North Carolina, we weren't comfortable with driving and getting lost. Someone told us if we miss the exit, it's a long way before the next exit to turn around. Yup, had that happen to me in North Carolina! hahaha! Anyway, thinking of driving again because s-l-o-w me did not even think to put Cooperstown into our trip - hello???? Hahaha! And there is no other way to get there for just a day trip, at least as far as I can tell from the researching I've done.

There are 4 of us. We are flying from California to Denver for Giants/Rockies. The next morning we are flying to Boston and that is going to be our home base (no pun intended!) :) That night we are going to Baltimore/Red Sox. The next morning, we need to make our way to NYC for Phillies/Mets (1:10 game). Would love to go to Finnerty's in NYC but most of all pay our respects at the 9|11 Memorial. We then have 3 days to play around Boston. Our final day is Tigers/Red Sox then back home.

Do you remember driving directions from Boston to Citi Field? We don't mind the $30 (we got that shock after the Giants finally won a world series - ha!) to park but since we aren't familiar with the area and the reputation that NYC has for no parking, we weren't sure if driving would be our best choice if we also want to see a few sites.

I'm a avid Fresno Grizzlies fan and love minor league games - that would be fun too.

Thanks for all of the great tips and ideas!

I don't have exact directions because I stopped along the way to see a variety of sites (Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig's graves). But since Citi Field is on Long Island I remember I didn't have to go across city to get there. Plus there's plenty of parking at Citi Field.

With that said, and a native Californian myself (North Carolina doesn't scare me), I wouldn't drive into NYC and out again unless you absolutely have to (Maybe one in your party can't walk very well, etc.). Parking near the 9/11 site is minimal at best.

That three hour drive from Boston to NYC is not 3 hours make it more like 5. So pushing to get to NYC from a night game at Boston is really stretching time. Personally, I would skip the Mets game and stay in Boston. There's too much to see around Boston area that you could possibly see in that time frame. Plus there are sites etc. you cannot get to without having car (Revolutionary War sites, etc).

As a recommendation catch any of the minor league teams Lowell, Pawtucket, etc. and keep it easy. Adding NYC will absolutely complicate your trip and make it exhausting. If you had at least two full days in NYC I would say go for it, but back and forth in one day, too much.

Thanks for the info! We already have our tickets and we are excited to get exhausted those first 3 days! I think we are going to stick with the train. I love riding on a train - that will be part of being a tourist and the station is near our hotel and then the train to Citi Field is right outside of Penn Station - perfect for us! I love the idea of just being able to take in whatever sites we see from the train. :)

RSS

STAY CONNECTED:

What's Hot Right Now... 

© 2024   Created by Ballpark Chasers   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service