Nationals Park, Washington, DC

Half Smoke All-The-Way

According to the Ben’s Chili Bowl website, they have been making this sausage sandwich since 1958 and it was made popular by comedian purported sexual predator Bill Cosby in the 1960s. Ben’s has been featured on several travel shows, my favorite being Man vs. Food when host, Adam Richman, got a peek at the top secret brown bag of spices used to flavor their famous chili.

The half smoke is a quarter pound, half pork/half beef smoked sausage. When you get it “All-The-Way” at Nationals Park, it comes with mustard, onions, shredded cheddar cheese and Ben’s chili sauce. It was unabashedly the best thing I have ever eaten at a ballpark.

Luckily, I was given a fork to scoop up the extra chili that smothered the top of the sandwich. The chili was delicious, the perfect consistency to top the sausage and left me wanting more on the side.

Once I was able to complete the requisite amount of chili excavation with my fork, I was finally able to pick the sandwich up and take a bite. Wow. The snap and flavor of the sausage combined with the toppings was perfection. I savored each bite.

The Ben’s Chili Half Smoke is quintessential ballpark food and the best thing I have ever eaten at a ballgame. Just remember the fork and a pile of napkins!

What is the best thing you have ever eaten at a ballgame?

Views: 1203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

probably the bratwurst with secret stadium sauce at county stadium at milwaukee

This looks fantastic! It has me thinking on what my favorite ballpark food has been over the years? I am sure that I am forgetting something but a Shake Shack burger & milkshake from Citi Field is what comes to mind!

Bacon on a stick in Baltimore.  THICK cut bacon dipped in an Old Bay and Maple syurp mixture on a stick..

My wife would second Baltimore's bacon-on-a-stick.   The Corn Off the Cob at the ChiSox' park might get my vote.

Baked potato with sautéed onions, peppers, and shrooms at Minute Maid. The Chicago dog at Wrigley was good too.
My vote is probably the 12-topping hot dog I had at the late Metrodome, which included baked beans and cole slaw. No idea if Target Field has them, but I would like to find out! Also Skyline Chili in Cincinnati is high up on my list.
Safeco field garlic fries. Make sure you get apple slices for after. Not sure why but it just makes it so much better.

The Beltre Burger at Globe Life Park in Arlington Texas 

Agreed....half smoke all the way
2nd place goes to shake shack Shackcago Dog and/or burger
3rd place Boog Powell's bbq in Baltimore....sometimes you can get an autograph too!!
*4th cause Im a Texan and Im being nice by not putting it first...
The bbq at The Rangers ballpark.... in any way shape or form! Its Texas BBQ!

RSS

STAY CONNECTED:

What's Hot Right Now... 

© 2024   Created by Ballpark Chasers   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service