Fellow ballpark chasers & minor league enthusiasts,

I am new to the site. I apologize if this topic belongs in another thread.

But I am seeking recommendations for noteworthy historic minor league ballparks throughout the country.  I will be taking a ballpark tour next year including minor leagues, but I don't want to stop at just any stadium. I'm interested in some of the older ones. I would be particularly interested the northeast, but all over the country as well. I have been to Centennial Field in Burlington and thought it was fantastic.

In recent years I have traveled to a few of the newer minor league stadiums. With some exceptions, I found it's not entirely worth the time. But when I find the right stadium, it makes it all worth it in the end. Thanks for your responses.

Views: 1720

Replies to This Discussion

I saw another one of the old ballparks, Recreation Park in Visalia, California, home of the Rawhide. It was a good place to see a game, classic style. I wouldn't put it at the top of my list but a good spot nevertheless. They did a renovation in the past decade or so which does a decent job mixing the old and the new. Great combo for a road trip to nearby Sequoia Forest.I went to a day game in April and it was burning hot there, in or near the desert. I can't hardly imagine what it's like in June/July, would hope they play mostly night games then.  

I am in California now. I would like to specifically seek out recommendations for great old ballparks in California.  My interest has expanded beyond minors affiliated teams at this point, and I'm also interested in amateur ball and collegiate wood bat summer leagues.  Two stadiums which have caught my attention through online research are:

Jay Littleton Ballpark in Ontario, CA

Recreation Park in Healdsburg, CA

If you are into this sort of thing, then google images of these fields and you might be amazed. These two stadiums shot up to the top of my list of places to visit. I would be thrilled to see any ballpark aficionado reviews of these places, and to learn about similar ballparks in CA. The Healdsburg Prune Packers play collegiate ball. I am trying to figure out who, if anybody, plays at Jay Littleton Park, and when. Andy advice is appreciated.

Attachments:
I also made it to San Jose municipal stadium back in 2014 and am finally posting a few pics. According to my unofficial list this is the 11th oldest operational ballpark in the minors (not including Rookie ball). Indeed municipal park is one of those old stadiums. Nice backdrop and California sunsets and weather. The stadium is covered in murals painted in the 1970s by a stadium worker who apparently had several buckets of paint and ability to do as he pleased. Kind of like in Pawtucket but the murals were less focused on the home team.
Attachments:
In 2016 I will be back east and hope to see games potentially in Williamsport, Hagerstown, Lynchburg, Savannah. All on this classic stadiums list.

Joseph, the Sand Gnats are moving to South Carolina for the 2016 season to become the Columbia Fireflies, but when I was there last summer, one of the fans was telling me Savannah will have a team in the Coastal Plains League. You may want to check their schedule to see when they play.

Mark, I'm rather disappointed to learn that the sand gnats are on the way out as I was looking see them this year. But thanks for the news nevertheless. All the old ballparks of the minor leagues are dying off.

RSS

STAY CONNECTED:

What's Hot Right Now... 

© 2024   Created by Ballpark Chasers   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service