So here's the plan: I am going to New York City this July to see the Yanks play the Sox, as it's the final year for The House That Ruth Built.

My question is: any suggestions from any NYers? i'm gonna be there a week.

Go Yanks!

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey John,

I did an east coast trip in 2002 seeing Yankee and Fenway. I would recommend to see another stadium while on your trip! Shea stadium is a cheap subway ride away. Are you going to have a rental car? If so, you should see Fenway...it is only a few hours away depending on traffic! Do you have a place to stay? Keep in mind that Yankee Stadium is in the heart of the Bronx so i would suggest to get lodging in another area. There is so much to do in NY...I wish I had more time to do the tourist stuff. Have fun and let me know how your trip goes!

Craig (14)
Yeah,where your RED SOX
I think Izzy meant to say: "wear" your RED SOX!
It really depends on where you stay, and how you get around NYC. Anywhere in the city, you will find public transportation to take you where you want to go, so that largely depends on what hotel/family you're staying at, and where it is. It wouldn't be a bad idea to see Shea, also, if you can swing it, but the Yanks and Mets are never home at the same time.
This is a little late, perhaps, for John's trip, but here's a few suggestions:

For Yankee Stadium, you can take the number 4 train (on the "Green" line that runs generally along Lexington Avenue) to the 161st Street stop. It's an easy ride, if somewhat crowded. Note that 4 is an express train; you may have to start out on the local 6 and transfer somewhere along the line. The 6 runs through Grand Central Station among many other stops.

For Shea Stadium, take a 7 train that runs to Queens and get off at the Shea Stadium stop. There is both a 7 local and a 7 express that run, and both run through Grand Central as well.

Grand Central Station is a neat, architecture-rich place to see along the way, from the constellations on the ceiling to the fresh market on the main level to the restaurants and food stalls on the lower level.

One other thing to see during this All-Star year in NYC would be the All-Star Statues on Parade. This is a series of 42 statues, all shaped like a Statue of Liberty, decorated with baseball themes. This includes a statue for each Major League team. I've posted a few pictures of those on my profile page (I only got to see a few while I was last in NYC). I'm not sure how long the statues will be up, but finding them around the city would be a fun way to take a tour of the city. You can find a map at http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2008/statues/index.jsp
These are great tips...thanks Steph!

RSS

STAY CONNECTED:

What's Hot Right Now... 

© 2024   Created by Ballpark Chasers   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service